I love banana bread. My mom always baked this when I was younger and there is just something about it that calls to me! Maybe it’s the comfort of a warm stove on a chilly day, or the fun of mixing it up with the kids, or that it’s a sweet but semi-guilt free snack. So next time you spy those bananas turning brown, don’t toss them until you try this recipe.
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30-40 mins | Total: 55 mins | 12 servings
(print this recipe)
- 3-4 over ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted butter, or 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray loaf pan w cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix mashed bananas and butter together with a spoon.
- Add into the mixture, sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Sprinkle in baking soda and salt. Mix again.
- Add in flour, mix until well blended. Do not over mix.
- Add flour mixture, beat on low speed until moist. Be careful not to over mix!
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan(s). Bake 50-60 minutes for one loaf pan, and 30-40 minutes for mini loaf pans or cupcake pans.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Wrap each loaf tightly in tinfoil. Double wrap if you plan to freeze it.
OPTIONAL MIX INS
- Cinnamon Swirl: ⅓ cups sugar, 1 Tbsp cinnamon – Pour half of the batter in the pan, Half of the swirl mix, rest of the batter and top with the end of the swirl mix.
- Pumpkin Spiced: 1 ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
- Chocolate Chip: 2 cups chocolate chips (get creative with any flavor chip mix in)
- Nuts: 1-2 cups of chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- Over ripe, browned bananas are perfect for this sweet bread. But if you have brown bananas and you aren’t ready to bake, toss them in the freezer! Later you can thaw them in a bowl on the counter, pinch off the end and they slide right out of the peel.
Like this post? Use the buttons below to share with your friends or print for your kitchen with the PDF link above. Don’t forget to comment and tell me if you tried this out!