This post contains affiliate links, read more about what that means here.
I love banana bread. My mom always baked this when I was younger and there is just something about it that calls to me! The comfort of a warm stove, the fun of mixing it up together, the sweet but semi-guilt free snack to enjoy… Once I see my bananas getting a bit to brown… you know, when you forgot they were there & when you open them its gonna be total smush on the inside… Well those bananas are perfect for this bread!
It is easy to make this into one large, regular sized loaf pan bread. Or you can divided it into mini loaf pans. Usually this recipe makes 4 mini loaves for me. Perfect to send 2 to my neighbor’s house, snack on one all day & have the last for breakfast in the morning.
Original Recipe Source: Recipe Girl
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30-40 mins | Total: 55 mins | 12 servings | 159 calories
(printable recipe here)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (make this 2 cups if you don’t have the whole wheat flour listed above)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temp (Leave out on counter or micro until just soft, not melted)
- 2 eggs
- About 3 bananas, ripe and mashed (From your freezer! See my tip below.)
- 1/3 cup yogurt (I use plain Greek)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray pans w cooking spray. This will make one 8×4, workload pan size or 3-4 mini loaf size.
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, and salt).
- In another bowl, or your KitchenAid Stand Mixer, beat sugar and butter at medium speed until well blended (about one minute).
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla, beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture, beat on low speed until moist. Be careful not to over mix!
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan(s). Bake 50-60 minutes for one loaf pan, and 30-40 minutes for mini loaf pans.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
— I then wrap each loaf tightly in tinfoil. Double wrap if you plan to freeze any.
- Over ripe, browned bananas are perfect for this sweet bread. Peel them and toss about 3 in a ziptop baggie, squash and mash them to a a smooth mush. Lay the bag flat on the counter and even it out, then move the flat bag to the freezer. After it freezes you can slip that skinny baggie anywhere until you are ready to make bread. Pop it out of the freezer to thaw & voila! make your bread.
- If you don’t have 3 bananas on hand you can fill in the gap with applesauce.
I love tossing this together with the kids on a chilly day. Who doesn’t love mashing up squishy bananas?
Love this? Tried it? Share your meal photos on my Facebook page, tag them on Instagram & Twitter with #MadeByMeggs or even comment below! I’d love to see what you enjoy! Don’t forget to check out more of what inspires me on Pinterest. xoxo Meggs
*Affiliate links: By clicking a link and making a purchase at Amazon.com you are helping support my family and for that I am grateful to you!*